FemCap is an FDA-approved, non-hormonal contraceptive device that has proven effective in preventing unwanted pregnancies in women of child-bearing age.
As a woman’s health care provider, you should help women choose the most suitable method for their age and lifestyle.FemCap is the perfect choice for women who are seeking an alternative to hormonal contraceptives, invasive birth control such as the IUD, or the condom.
FemCap is an FDA-approved birth control device. This cervical cap is made of durable silicone rubber, is flared to prevent dislodgement, and has a strap to aid in removal. FemCap is held in place by the muscular walls of the vagina and does not have to be snug around the cervix or hinge behind the pubic bone. FemCap has a brim that flares outward like an inverted funnel to direct sperm towards the groove that traps the sperm and exposes it to the stored spermicide; this is the major difference between FemCap and the diaphragm.
Prescribing FemCap is as Easy as 1-2-3.
- Patient’s Obstetric History
- Prescribe Size
- a. 22mm= Never been pregnant
- b. 26mm= Has been pregnant but didn’t deliver vaginally (ex. c section, miscarriage, abortion)
- c. 30mm= Women who delivered vaginally
- Apply Spermicide as Directed.
Clinicians please refer to “Sample FemCap prescription” below:
FemCap does not require precise measurements or custom fitting. It comes in three easy-to-fit sizes (the inner diameter of the rim determines its size):
- The smallest rim diameter (22mm) is intended for women who have NEVER been pregnant.
- The medium (26mm) cap is intended for women who have been pregnant, but did not have a vaginal delivery (miscarriage, c-section or abortion).
- The largest (30mm) is intended for women who have had a vaginal delivery of a full-term baby.
Why Prescribe FemCap?
If your patient is suffering from the side-effects of birth control pills, is nursing, is simply seeking non-hormonal contraception, or does not like to use the condom, the FDA-approved FemCap may be the perfect birth control alternative.
FemCap is safe, effective, easy to use, and easy to prescribe. Simply take a reproductive history and perform a pelvic exam to ensure that there are no abnormalities that preclude the proper use of a cervical cap and to determine the correct size to prescribe.
FemCap comes with an instructional booklet and we provide online instructional videos. To ensure effectiveness and your patient’s peace of mind, you should schedule a follow-up appointment to check fit and placement.
Including health insurance codes regarding FemCap
(These codes apply only to the USA)
NDC Codes for Reimbursement
FemCap 22mm – NDC 08454-0001- 22
FemCap 26mm – NDC 08454-0002- 26
FemCap 30mm – NDC 08454-0003- 30
CPT Codes for Services
Initial Office Visit, Annual Examination – 99243
Follow Up Visit – 99214
Cervical Cap Fitting – 57170
Contraceptive Supply Cervical Cap Device (unspecified) – 99070
Diagnostic ICD-10 Codes
HCPCS 2011 Code A A4261
Contraceptive Counseling – V25.09
Specified Method – V25.49
Fitting Diaphragm/Cervical Cap – V25.02
None of the participants in clinical trials had any significant side effects. During the clinical trials, the risk of developing a urinary tract infection while using FemCap was found to be significantly less than the risk to those women using the diaphragm.
One pregnancy occurred among the 85 women who completed eight weeks of the study to test the second-generation FemCap. Based on this study, the typical failure rate of the second-generation FemCap was estimated to be 7.6 per hundred women per year. It is estimated that FemCap may achieve higher effectiveness if used properly, i.e.,
- uses FemCap correctly every time she has sex
- applies spermicide with each act of intercourse
- uses emergency contraception as a back-up measure
FemCap is very highly accepted by women and their partners. In clinical trials, the majority of women who had prior experience with the diaphragm preferred FemCap.
FemCap training is relatively simple. Women can insert and remove FemCap in the squatting position on their own very easily and quickly.
Women Who Would be Very Successful Using FemCap
- Are highly motivated and educated
- Cannot tolerate the side effects of hormones
- Have contraindications to IUDs
- Are allergic to latex rubber or do not rely on the male to use the condom
Women Who Would Tend to Have a Higher Failure Rate with FemCap
- Have used the earlier version of FemCap
- Have aversions to touching their genitalia
- Lack motivation and/or planning